First of all, you need to decide on exactly what you want.
- What function do you want the website to serve?
- Do you want your website to be interactive or just display static information?
Web designers usually deal with the general layout, fonts, colours, navigation and general aspects of the site.
Web programmers or developers deal with the 'behind the scenes stuff' and program the code that makes your site work the way it is supposed to work. If you need an e-commerce website or need users to be able to register on your site and need complicated galleries and ticket management then this is their domain
Graphic designers usually create the layout, logos and colours for your website.
How much will it cost?
This depends on what you want. The price will depend on the features you need. Beware of very low prices as the quality of the work is usually poor. A clean and professional website can mean the difference in the success of your business. A clean and professionally developed website is visually appealing and adds to the professionalism of your business. People get turned off by very flashy and gaudy websites and you may leave your visitors with a poor impression.
There are so many companies, how do i chose the right one for me?
Before you decide on the web develpment company, ask to see some of their previous work and their portfolio. This should give you a rough idea of the quality of their work.
- Does their quotation justify the quality of their work?
- What are their pricing options?
- Do you have to pay on a monthly basis or a once-off annual fee?
- How much do they charge for maintaining/updating your website?
- Does their quotation include hosting fees?